Monday, August 16, 2010

Brandon Graham




Brandon Graham's King City often gives me little Krazy Kat like thrills, which is probably the highest compliment I can give a comic. Both strips have these details drawn in at the last second (or maybe they were the first thing set down on the page...we'll never know) for thrilling effect. Your eye gets to read these details as it moves along the page, but only if it puts in the time to really read that page. You can't skim this stuff.

Graham's cartooning has been a slow burn for me...I remember staring at 'Escalator' for years on the comic shelves,intrigued by it but never forcing myself to enter into it. Now I wish I had. I think, as I get older, the kind of work I'm drawn to is the kind that doesn't win you over with a moments glance...and that's not to say that King City isn't visually seductive. But it's strength is in how things move and how landscapes reveal themselves to the readers as Graham moves you along the page...little landmarks that you'll only hit if you're working with Graham in concert.

In December, when I picked King City as one of my favorite comics of 2009 for The Daily Crosshatch, it seemed liked the 'art-comics' corner of comicopia wasn't gung-ho about King-City...or if they were, they weren't talking about it. But, working at a comic store at the time, King-City felt like the freshest thing on the racks, regardless of what corner you were coming from. It's gratifying, as a fan of the book, to see it being embraced by people who have very different feelings and agendas about comics...King-City is the kind of thing that takes more work to deny yourself than it does to let in your world and enjoy.

1. can you describe your drawing routine---how often you draw, how many hour per day---how you break up the day with drawing?

It changes a fair amount for me. I draw at least a couple hours every day and sometimes most of the day is drawing.
My ideal schedule is when I can wake up with a penciled page from the night before and ink that and pencil the next page.
I don't do a page a day every day though the writing and thinking takes longer some times.

A lot of days I'll pencil a page and then go over to a friends house or a coffee shop and slowly ink it while watching a movie or talking to people.
4 pages a week is a good speed for me.


2. how much revision/editing do you do in you work?

I do lots of layouts and repencil pages a fair amount before I ink them.
I rarely go with my first idea without tweaking it a lot.

I did a one page comic about how ideas are like raw iron ore that have to be beaten into something before they're any good.


3. talk about your process---do you write a script or make up the drawing as you go?

I start with a rough idea of scenes I want to draw and make notes for how any pages I think it will take up,
what I want in the scene. ideas for panels and text but leave it pretty open and then when I get to the scene I do lots of layouts to
tighten up the idea before I draw it.


4. do you compose the page as a whole or do you focus more on individual panel composition?

A little of both I guess. I like that in comics you can have different focus depending on the mood you're
in, some days it can be all about lettering and others weird panel ideas, or facial expressions.
the possibilities really make for a difficult and rewarding art form.


5. what tools do you use (please list all)?

I pencil with mechanical pencil and any eraser. I like the ones that look like white cubes.
Micron Pigma pens #3 and #5 for inking
(5 for lettering also)
I have a refillable brush pen with a cap that I dip in a bottle of ink to fill in big chunks of black.

These days I color my stuff in photoshop since its easy to control how it'll look in print.


6. what kind(s) of paper do you use?

For comics I use 11 by 17 80 pound vellum bristol. I get it in 250 sheet packages from office supply stores.
sometimes 11 by 17 typing paper.

7. do you read a lot of comics? are you someone who reads comics and then gets excited to make more comics---or is your passion for making comics not linked to any particular love for other comics?

I am really really into reading comics. A lot of the work I do is a reaction to books I've read.
And when I put out books I try to remember and put into them what really has gotten me excited in the past in other books.


8. do you make comics for a living? if not, how do you support yourself, and how does this relate to your comics making process?

I spend most of my time doing comics but a chunk of my income is from side jobs that I don't show anyone.
the money i do need from comics is a nice nudge to get the stuff done in a timely fashion.


9. do other artforms often seem more attractive to you?

I feel like most other art forms I have any interest in can be worked into comics.
Even something like sculpture or photography--you can use as a cover of a book.


10. what artwork (or artists) do you feel kinship with?

there's a ton of contemporaries that I feel connected to. I feel like I can identify with anyone trying hard to make fun and personal work.


11. is a community of artists important or not important to you?

Yeah, It's a big deal to me. I don't really know many people that don't do art.
My lady, Marian Churchland and most of my closest friends make comics.

It's really nice to have people to bounce ideas off of and who are doing work that gets you excited to try harder.



12. Is there a particular line quality you like---thick/thin/clean/etc?

I like my own work to be on the clean side but I think any line quality can work in the right hands.


13, what is more important to you---style or idea?

I'm a fan of ideas and then style is like throwing some stank on the idea to make it look good.


14. is drawing a pleasure to you or a pain?

At it's best it's possibly my favorite thing I've ever done but I do find it hard and frustrating some days.
That's part of what makes it worth it.


15. when you meet someone new, do you talk about being an artist right away? do you identify yourself as an artist or something else?

I grew up with such an identity of being a comic artist it took me years to not just obnoxiously talk about comics with everyone I met.
For awhile when I was living in NYC I tried to see what it was like to not mention comics when I met people new I'd tell them that I
lived off a trust fund as an inside joke to my pals who knew how deeply broke I was.


16. do you feel at all connected to older comic artists like steve ditko or jack kirby---or does this seem like a foreign world to you?

More Kirby than Ditko, some artists whose work I read I can really see why they do what they do.

There's a lot of older artists who I look up to and try to learn from,
Guys like Moebius and Krs-one whose work is choked full of good tips on living as an artist.


17. do you ever feel the impulse to not draw comics?

No, I've wanted to make comics as long as I can remember. It's a huge thrill and my art therapy and entertainment.


18. do you draw from life?

Yeah, I like to go outside and draw, I draw people around me a lot. But I've never gone to any sitting around a naked person, life drawing.
it's not my scene.



19. do you pencil out comics and then ink? or do you sometimes not pencil?

If I'm going to print it I usually pencil stuff first but or myself I draw with whatever.



20. what does your drawing space look like?

14 comments:

Ryan Cecil said...

Austin I figure you're waiting to post the next interview until you get a single comment on this year-old post!!


So...This was a funny and good interview! "Throw some stank on it," haha.

Joey Ray said...

Useful information ..I am very happy to read this post on Cheap Amoxil..thanks for giving us this useful information. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.

Anonymous said...



There are many elements namely absence to be taken into account before you work out and purchase the most powerful binoculars that you tin find. Bigger is no necessarily better for there are numerous functions that are essential to the quality of binoculars.When somebody speaks about mighty binoculars then they are referring to the exaggeration of the binoculars. The greater the exaggeration the more powerful the binocular. Along with being competent to penetrate objects that are very far away the extra powerful the binoculars the more details you ambition be capable to make out.It is important to memorize that the higher the magnification the more light you will absence. If you blueprint ashore using the binoculars with cheap light then you may not want super magnification. Along with magnification you want to have a larger objective lens as this ambition gather more light. A greater objective lens generally makes the binoculars larger but are worth it as the image quality will not undergo.Greater magnification will show an unbelievable sum of elaborate but it will too amplify anyone small activities you might make swarovski crystal outlet, such as a slightly shaking hand. If this is a problem you will want to use a tripod with your binoculars or some additional manner of image stabilization.This means that you may immediately be carrying a lot of equipment and whether you plan on act widespread hiking and carrying your binoculars you might want to ascertain a lighter more compact pair of binoculars. The alternative is up to you.Powerful binoculars are also very valuable and if you merely plan on using your binoculars every once in a while then you may not want to make such a massive investment. However they will be of eminent quality and will final a lifetime with the proper concern. If you feel that powerful binoculars will behalf your situations then enjoy the splendid detail you tin penetrate using them.


amabel87654 said...

Love that cartoon folks.

Mikes,
2 Girl Teach Sex

Unknown said...

I am very happy to read this. Appreciate your sharing.
Signature:
i like play games friv4 online and play games 2 girls Download baixar facebook movel

Unknown said...

Nicely written information in this post, the quality of content is fine and picture very nice. Things are very open and intensely clear explanation of issues. Run 3
Keep up the good work, and post more articles like the one you have posted above. Very interesting and also informative. Head Soccer | Juegos De Terror |
Mahjong Free Games | Cool math 4 kids

al3ab banat01 said...

تعتبر العاب تلبيس من اشهر الانواع في هذا المجال وهي بدورها تتضمن عدة اصناف جميلة ويعشقها الكتير وخاصة البنات منها العاب تلبيس ومكياج التي تمزج بين التلبيس وكذلك الميك اب في آن واحد هذا الامر الدي يزيد من جمالها وتجعل كل من يلعبها يستمتع بذلك زد على ذلك العاب تلبيس باربي التي تعرف شعبية كبيرة لانها شخصية مشهورة ويعرفها الصغير والكبير ولهم ذكريات جميلة معها لانها اشتهرت في عالم الكارتون والان اصبح الامر كذلك في مجال الالعاب وغير هذا هناك كذلك نوع آخر مميز ايضا وهو العاب تلبيس عرائس فالجميع يحلم ان يقوم بتلبيسهما لانها تذكرهم بهذه المناسبة الجميلة الا وهي الزواج التي تعتبر اهم مرحلة في حياة الانسان وهناك انواع مغايرة لها جمهور كبير في كل انحاء العالم وهي العاب قص الشعر ليس هي فقط بل توجد ايضا العاب طبخ التي يمكن للجميع لعبها سواء كانوا اولادا او بناتا وهي الاكتر طلبا في النت ويحبها الجميع ومعها ايضا العاب باربي التي تكلمنا عليها بكل انواعها
قص الشعر
تلبيس وميك اب

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the information. It is very useful for my future. keep sharing. Can you play more games at: Friv10000 | Kizi 4 | happy wheels game

huong duong said...

I read the father confided that choking heart. A father willing to take the car to teach Coffee Museum to buy nice cars for children. A father these days dare to read what people write for fear of seeing the insults, floss erosion
b612 , run 3 , geometry dash 2.0 , baixar snapchat , download musicas

Unknown said...

Happy Wheels 3
geometry dash
tank trouble game
friv games

Unknown said...

friv at school
friv for school
friv
tủ nấu cơm
máy làm dá
friv 2018

Bếp Royal said...

Chúng tôi xin tư vấn nên tham khảo các thương hiệu bếp từ tại Showroom bếp
Royal!

Tại thiết bị nhà bếp Royal chuyên các sản phẩm bếp từ nhập khẩu Đức và bếp từ
nhập khẩu Tây Ban Nha.

Bếp Royal sẽ tư vấn kỹ chức năng, công dụng, thông số kỹ thuật và đơn giá của
từng loại bếp từ.

Thế mạnh của bếp Royal là dịch vụ lắp đặt bếp từ uy tín chuyên nghiệp, bảo hành
tại nhà lên đến 3 năm, “chúng tôi luôn luôn cố gắng hết sức để đem lại sự hài
lòng cho quý khách“.

Ngoài ra Bếp Royal luôn có chương trình “khuyến mại bếp từ giá rẻ” và “khuyến
mại đổi bếp” để phục vụ nhu cầu của quý khách hàng.

Bếp từ Fagor,
Bếp từ Teka,
Bếp từ Bosch,
Bếp từ Cata,
Bếp từ Dmestik,
Bếp từ Chefs,
Bếp từ Faster,
Bếp từ Hafele,
Bếp từ Brandt

unknown said...

CASA98 บริการ แทงบอลออนไลน์ แทงบอลเดี่ยว บอลเต็ง บอลสเต็ป
CASA98
แทงบอลออนไลน์
สมัคร CASA98

Pokerwin88 | Poker Deposit Pulsa | Poker Online | Ceme Online said...

Poker Deposit Pulsa
DominoQQ Pulsa
IDN Poker Pulsa